An NMX Panel Hosted by Jean MacDonald and Featuring Podcasters David Sparks, Mark Fuccio, and Dave Hamilton
You must be logged in to view this session.
This panel features moderator Jean MacDonald, the partner in charge of marketing at Smile, which develops Mac, iPhone and iPad productivity software such as TextExpander and PDFpen. Panelists are:
- David Sparks, the editor of MacSparky.com and the co-host of the popular Mac Power Users podcast
- Mark Fuccio, president of Tactics Sells High Tech, Inc a professional services company that helps companies define, target, and launch high tech products
- Dave Hamilton, co-founder of The Mac Observer, president of publisher service agency BackBeat Media, and co-host of The Mac Geek Gab podcast
To access this session and all related material, you must be logged in.
or log in if you’re already a member!
“Passion + Authenticity = Podcasting Success” – Jean MacDonald
What a Sponsor Wants:
- Increased Awareness
- Proof it works (ROI)
Approaching a Sponsor:
- Start with companies whose products you already use and love
- Present how your podcast will sell and create awareness
- Cover these key points:
- Reach and Frequency (for podcast, blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc)
- Why your listeners will be interested in the sponsor’s product
Make it a Triple Win:
- For the sponsors, provide traffic, sales, “love letters”
- For listeners, provide education, “specials”
- For you as a podcaster, you’ll win if sponsors and listeners are both happy
The Spot – what is it like?
- Who does it (you read vs. recorded from the sponsor)
- Types of spots (pre-roll, post-roll, content embed)
- How many per show
- Balancing goals and needs of the three groups (you, your listener, your sponsor)
- Spot content (will you allow coupons/deals?)
- How long will it run (minimum time)
- What else? (show notes, tweets, links/buttons, etc.)
Who Does the Selling?
- You: you have all the control and make all of the money, but it takes time
- Third Party: they represent your podcast to sell ads, but you need to make sure your philosophies match
- Flat Rate or Variable
- CPM (cost per thousand)
- Anywhere from $20 CPM to over $100 CPM
- Know long term goals
- Watch for warning signs and educate sponsors early and often
- Renewal starts on Day One
David Sparks’ Three Steps to Successful Sponsorship:
- Step One: Find a topic you’re passionate about so you can build an audience from day one.
- Step Two: The Courtship
- Look for a sponsor that brings value to your audience
- Don’t be afraid to say no -talk about expectations
- Make a media kit with details about your show
- Step Three: The Marriage
- Get married to gems
- Don’t hurry up to get married
- Always be honest with both readers and sponsors
Get our free ebook: The Ultimate Guide to Blog and Podcast Sponsorship
Download your copy today. It’s free for NMXU members (hey, that’s you!).
More about the Panelists:
Jean MacDonald is the partner in charge of marketing at Smile, which develops Mac, iPhone and iPad productivity software such as TextExpander and PDFpen.
Mark Fuccio is the president of Tactics Sells High Tech, Inc, a professional services company that helps companies define, target, and launch high tech products.
Dave Hamilton is co-founder of The Mac Observer, president of publisher service agency BackBeat Media, and co-host of The Mac Geek Gab podcast.
Connect with David: Twitter
Watch This Companion Video about Treating Your Podcast Like a Business and Setting Your Sponsorship Prices with Lou Mongello: